For more information
If you can’t find what you need in this report or you prefer answers in a different format please email@example.com and we will do our best to answer.
Please be aware that there is some information missing from the access report, we have flagged this in the report itself and will update as soon as we can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
For other information regarding the physical accessibility of our venue, you can visit AccessAble. The locations on campus we will be using are the Management School and Charles Carter for workshops, Cartmel for our accommodation and evening entertainment.
BiCon 2019 is at Lancaster University
- Accommodation is in Cartmel College.
- Daytime sessions are in the Charles Carter and Management School buildings.
- Evening entertainment and crèche are in Barker House Farm.
- Shops and amenities are in Alexandra Square. There is a co-op convenience shop in the building on the other side of the Charles Carter building from the management school.
- There is a gym with a swimming pool, a trim trail, and a woodland walk
- There is a slope between the accommodation and the session spaces. The route has dropped kerbs/is step-free.
- The walk from the accommodation (Cartmel College) to the day time session space (Management School building) is approximately 0.5km (0.3miles), we took seven minutes to walk it. There is a slope, Google Maps estimates this as increasing by 30 feet.
- Some sessions will be in the Charles Carter building, which is approximately 80 metres (260 feet) from the Management School. We took one minute to get there from the Management School Building.
- The walk from the accommodation to the evening entertainment space (Barker House) is approximately 85 metres (280 feet), we took one minute to walk it. This is also where the crèche is.
- The route from the accessible accommodation to the step-free access is sloped both in the direction of the route and across the path.
- The walk from the session space to the shops and amenities (Alexandra Square) is approximately 0.3km (0.2 miles) and took us four minutes to walk.
- Videos of the above routes will be uploaded soon.
- The sports centre is on the main entrance into campus, 0.8km (0.5 miles) from Alexandra Square and is down a steep hill.
- The trim trail is 700m long, and features eleven outdoor equipment zones. This is featured on a steep hill.
- The woodland walk goes all round the outside of the campus, 2.6 miles in total.
Onsite parking is available close to the accommodation and session space. It is free of charge during evenings and weekends. On weekdays a charge applies during the daytime hours. Charge is £5 for the whole day or £3 for 2 hours. Information about how to pay will be uploaded soon.
For some attendees, travelling from the accommodation to workshops may prove to be inaccessible. In this instance, it is possible to drive from the accommodation to car park G at the Management School. There is accessible parking at both locations. This is free on Saturday and Sunday, and at all times for those with a blue badge.
Our accommodation: Cartmel College
Cartmel College is a set of accommodation blocks which are set near Barker House Farm (where evening entertainment and the creche is held). The accommodation is divided into flats. All BiCon flats will be for BiCon attenders only. Some other flats will be occupied by non-BiCon people such as Summer Schools. The only other group currently booked is due to arrive on Sunday as we are leaving.
- Most of the flats are above the ground floor.
- All flats can be reached by stairs.
- The blocks are a maximum of three floors high.
- One block, with the accessible rooms, has a lift.
- All rooms are en-suite. They are wet-room style shower rooms with no step/
- There is a slight lip between the carpet of the room and the lino in the en-suite. We will upload a picture of this soon.
- Bedrooms are arranged in flats of 8 with a shared kitchen/living room. Pictures to be uploaded soon.
- Sheets and towels are provided, but kitchen items like plates, cutlery, pots etc. are not. We are enquiring to see if this can be rectified.
- Sheets will be on the beds, not provided in packs.
There is a laundrette open throughout the day and locked in the evening from 11pm. A wash costs £2.40, with a tumble dry costing a further £1.20 for 45 minutes in the dryers. To use the laundrettes you need a card, which are available in each laundrette. You need to keep this card and follow the instructions on the Circuit website to obtain credit.
The measurements for this room are as follows:
- Length – 12’ (including bed)
- Width – 5’9”
- Access space between wall and bed – 2’9”
- Bedroom door – 2’8”
All doors (except bathroom door) are fire doors and are therefore heavy. None of the doors atomically open.
The ensuite bathrooms in these rooms include a shower chair, rails on toilet and sink and a red emergency cord.
The measurements for the ensuite are as follows:
- Door – 3’
- Width – 7’3”
- Length – 6’8”
There is a slight ridge in the door way between the bedroom and the bathroom, it should not cause any issues but please contact the team If you feel it will.
The kitchens in these flats have adapted kitchen worktops and appliances.